1885 - Turnbull House was completed, at this time the home of Edward Ellis.

Sometime during this time span, the building was renovated into apartments

1949 - Building was purchased by First Pres.

1950 - John T. Turnbull gifted money to pay the remainder of the mortgate in memory of his two sisters, Lillian and Augusta who were both active members at First Pres.  The building was then known as Turnbull House. 

During this time span, the apartments were gradually renovated into classroom space for sunday school.

1976 - Schenectady Christian School (Now Mekeel Christian Academy) began it's first classes in Turnbull House, until a building in Scotia was purchased.

1990 - Sunday school classes were renovated.

Turnbull House now houses our Nurseries, and Children's & Youth Ministries.  Entry to the building is monitored and restricted for security. 

 

Photo: First Presbyterian Church Turnbull House, ca. 2017

 

For more information on the history of Turnbull House & First Presbyterian Church, pick up a copy of Sure Foundation: A 250-Year History of First Presbyterian Church Schenectady, NY , 1760-2010 a hard-bound 244-page book published in 2010.  These books are availbale in the Church Office.

Click here for a brief history of the Sanctuary.

Sanctuary

Click here for a brief history of Turnbull House.

Turnbull House

For a brief history on Mekeel Hall click here.

Mekeel Hall

Search Website

{{#image}}
{{/image}}
{{text}} {{subtext}}